West Terrace, ST. JAMES BB24000
Tel: (246) 438-0061
The first Post Office for St. Lucy was established near St. Lucy’s Church and Mr. John Bowen was appointed as its first District Postmaster. Mr. F. A. St. John was appointed to the position of District Postmaster in January 1894; he died on 17thDecember 1923 and was succeeded by Miss. Winifred St. John, his daughter.
In March 1930 the Office was relocated from Benthams to “Palm Villa”. Miss. St. John retired on the 31st July, 1964, and Mrs. Edwina M. Bowry succeeded her when she retired on February 28th 1978. Ms. L. Edwards was appointed to the position.
Numerous persons have performed the duties of District Postmaster/Postmistress; over the years. The old Office was demolished a few years ago and a modern structure was erected.
Benthams, ST. LUCY BB27000
Tel: (246) 439-8417
Tamarind Cottage was the location of the first parish Post Office in St. Joseph and Mr. John Mayers was appointed as its District Postmaster. However, by December 1882, the office was located near Horse Hill and by August 1st, 1887, the office was moved to Tamarind Hall, to Mr. Cox’s residence on September 21st, 1896.
In August, 1902, the Post Office was moved from Tamarind Hall to a new location in Horse Hill on the premises of Mrs. M. E. Nicholls, the District Postmistress. On June 15th, 1921, the Post Office was moved to the residence of Mr. Sydney A. Durant, the dispenser for the parish who was appointed District Postmaster upon the resignation of Mrs. Nicholls. Mr. Durant retired on July 31st, 1950, and he was succeeded by Mr. Albert DaC. Blackman. In March 1950, a parcel of land forming part of the Glebe in St. Joseph was purchased for £1 from the Rector of the Parish Church and a new Post Office was constructed at the foot of Horse Hill by October 1951 and was opened shortly after.
A new municipal centre was constructed at Tamarind Hall, Blackmans, St. Joseph, to house the Magistrate’s Court for District “F”, the Police Station for District “F” and a branch of the public library in addition to the St. Joseph Post Office. The centre was officially opened on May 22nd, 2009, by the U.S Attorney General, Mr. Eric Holder Jr. while on a visit here. The centre was officially named the Eric Holder Jr. Municipal Complex. The old St. Joseph Post Office brought to an end its operation at Horse Hill on June 25th, 2009, and moved into the new building where operations commenced on June 29th, 2009.
The Eric Holder Jr. Municipal Complex
ST. JOSEPH BB21000
Tel: (246) 433-1319
The first Post Office for the parish of Christ Church was located near One Mile Hill and Mr. James Reece was the appointed Postmaster – a position he held until 1868. Since then the Post Office has been located at Four Cross Roads near Balls, at the premises of Mr. Edward Forde, a shopkeeper who was appointed Postmaster. After the death of Mr. Forde on May 16th, 1903, the Post Office was moved to the residence of Mr. Thomas Shepherd the new Postmaster at a place called “Plum Grove” on Lodge Road.
On June 1st, 1921 the Post Office was again relocated from “Plum Grove” to a new location in Gall Hill. The Office remained there until March 1st, 1954 and was subsequently moved to a new building at Oistins which it shared with the Oistins Branch Library. In 2011, the current modern two storey office facility was re-opened following the demolition of the old building and the construction of a new one.
Oistins, CHRIST CHURCH BB17000
Tel: (246) 420-8654
Speightstown was the first location for the District Post Office and the appointed District Postmaster was Mr. John E. Ward. On March 1st, 1898, the Office was relocated to the upper part of Church Street.
The Office was moved again on October 1st, 1901, from Church Street to the residence of Mrs. F. Hutson from Rock Hall Plantation, near the Bridge in Queen Street, Speightstown. Throughout the years, many persons have been appointed to perform the functions of District Postmaster/Postmistress.
Within recent times, the Office was relocated from the Speightstown Main Street to the back streets not far away from is former location.
Speightstown, ST. PETER BB26000
Tel: (246) 422-7450
Postal operations began at the Bridgetown Port on January 17th, 1994, prior to its establishment the service of selling philatelic items and stamps was done by the Barbados Tourism Authority. This Office provides most of the services of the other Offices, however no postmen are employed and there is no delivery of mail to the public.
All mail posted at this Office is sent to the General Post Office for processing.
The Postmaster General
ST. MICHAEL BB11000
Tel: (246) 436-4800
The Brittons Hill Post Office occupies the property where the Brittons Hill Police Station and the School for the Deaf and Blind once were housed. Upon completion of construction, postal operations began on November 22nd, 1976.
Brittons Hill, ST. MICHAEL BB14000
Tel: (246) 426-5432
The former Black Rock Post Office was located in a small building within the precincts of the Black Rock Police Station. It began operations in May 1949 and the first Postmistress was Miss J. Matthews.
The establishment of the Eagle Hall Post Office became necessary as the Black Rock Post Office had become too small and inadequate to serve the needs of the rapidly expanding St. Michael community. This Office was opened on October 20th, 1969, by Minister of Communications and Works. Hon. Neville W. Boxhill. It should also be noted that the Eagle Hall Library is located within the building housing the Post Office.
Ironically when the new Post Office was opened, Miss J. Matthews was still the appointed Postmaster. The current holder of the post is Mr. Keith Reid.
President Kennedy Drive, ST. MICHAEL BB12000
Tel: (246) 426-1029
The construction of the building to house the Welches Road Post Office commenced in August 1951 and was completed in the latter part of the year. Postal operations at the facility started on November 19th, 1951, under the control of District Postmaster Mr. O.A. Shorey. On April 30th, 1967, he retired and was succeeded by Miss Hazel Niles on May 1st, 1967.
It should however be noted that during the years since the establishment of this branch of the Post Office various persons have performed the duty of District Postmaster. The present Postmaster/Postmistress is Ms. Margaret Thorpe.
Welches Road, ST. MICHAEL BB13000
Tel: (246) 429-2436
It was first located on the upstairs section of the facility, however due to the extensive renovations of the building it was temporarily relocated to a temporary structure adjoining the eastern car park before re-location to more spacious and air-conditioned accommodation 20 metres left of Chefette Restaurant in 2008.
The office offers all of the services which are provided at the District Post Offices. The current Postmaster is Mrs. Lillian Brereton.
Grantley Adams International Airport
CHRIST CHURCH BB16000
Tel: (246) 228-1084
The Worthing Post Office was opened on October 8th, 1973. Its first District Postmaster was Mrs. Dorrien M. Davis.
On October 31st, 1977, Mrs. Davis retired and was succeeded by Mrs. Jocelyn C. King, who was appointed to the position on March 31st, 1981. However in January 1984, Mrs. King was transferred to the St. James Post Office and the position was filled by Mr. Prince H. Smith.
In January 2009, the Office was closed for extensive renovations and re-opened for postal business on May 22nd, 2009.
Worthing, CHRIST CHURCH BB15000
Tel: (246) 435-7420
Apes Hill was the first location of the St. Andrew parish Post Office and was under the control of Mr. George Abel Dean, its first District Postmaster. Mr. G. H. Lewis was appointed in June 1854; he was subsequently replaced by Mr. J. F Lewis in 1879; he worked in the position for twenty-six years before resigning on April 30th, 1905. He was replaced by Mr. George Gregory. It should be noted that numerous persons have performed the duty of District Postmaster over the years.
In 1998, the Post Office moved to temporary offices close to the original location at Belleplaine. Interestingly, the St. Andrew Post Office no longer delivers mail. Postmen for the parish are housed in the St. Thomas Post Office
Belleplaine, ST. ANDREW BB25000
Tel: (246) 422-9219
The first Post Office in St. George was established at St. Helens in the mid to late 19th century. On September 12th, 1898, all postal business was moved to the Book-keepers Room at Carmichael Plantation following the destruction of the former Post Office.
In November 1903, a new building was constructed at Old Work Hill on Government lands next to the valve house of the Water Works Department. In 1931 an attempted burglary at the Post Office initiated its relocation and on June 1st, 1932, the new Post Office was established at the residence of Mr. Julian Odle at Briggs Hill beyond St. George’s Rectory.
A new Post Office and library were constructed on Government lands at the Glebe near the Parish Church and opened on December 29th, 1958. Subsequently, the Office received another new home not far away in the complex at the Glebe Police Station where it is currently located.
The Valley, ST. GEORGE BB19000
Tel: (246) 429-0647
The first Post Office for St. James parish was established at Holetown and headed by Mr. Henry Thornhill. Mr. Dowding Thornhill took up the post as District Postmaster on June 1st, 1868. Then on May 1st, 1906, the Post Office was moved to the residence of Mrs. H. P Simmons in Holetown. On May 16th, 1907, she was appointed District Postmistress following the resignation of Mr. Thornhill.
On July 8th, 1909, the Post Office was moved to a new building constructed on lands of the Holetown Police station at a cost of £36. Mrs. M. Rose was appointed to act as District Postmistress and was subsequently appointed in the post. Mr. D. S. Johnson succeeded Mrs. Rose in 1933. Throughout the years the Post Office has employed many excellent Postmasters/Postmistresses.
Police Station Complex
Holetown, ST. JAMES BB24000
Tel: (246) 432-2237
In 1886 the first location of the St. John Post Office was at Cheshire, near Small Hope, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Richard Robinson. Then on July 5th, 1886, the Office was moved to Small Hope, the home of Mr. Joseph Goddard.
The Post Office was again moved on two occasions; first to another location in Small Town Village on July 19th 1889 and then again to a neighbouring house in the same area on September 11th, 1895. On February 16th, 1914, the Post Office was moved to a new building owned by Mr. Thomas R. Greenidge the District Postmaster near the “Pool” plantation. Another move occurred on June 29th, 1920 when the Office was moved to the parish rectory.
In 1941, a new home was found for the St. John Post Office at “Ebenezer” situated at Roebuck Street in St. John. A new building was constructed at Four Roads and the Office was moved from Spooners into a new structure on June 21st, 1954.
The St. John Post Office was closed for renovations with effect from March 2012. It was re-opened in April 2013.
Four Roads, ST. JOHN BB20000
Tel: (246) 433-1323
St. Thomas’ Church was the first location of the parish Post Office and Mr. John L. Layne was its first District Postmaster. In 1908, a new post office was constructed on the premises of Miss. G. F Layne who resigned from the position at the end of April 1912, due to health problems. She was succeeded by Mr. F. C. Farnham.
On May 5th, 1919, the Post Office was moved from Rock Hall Village and erected on lands owned by Content Plantation and Mrs. Birkett was appointed as District Postmistress.
In January 1926, Mrs. Birkett resigned and the Post Office was moved from Content Plantation to the station yard of the District “D” Police Station; Miss Eldean Hutchinson was appointed as the new District Postmistress. After spending nineteen years and eleven months in the position, Miss Hutchinson retired on October 25th 1964. Mr., Glyne Benjamin was appointed to the post in October 1964.
A decision was made by government to construct a new post office at Welchman Hall; the old office was relocated from District “D” and on January 29th, 1979, the new Office opened its doors.
Welchman Hall, ST. THOMAS BB22000
Tel: (246) 438-6749
The first Post Office in the parish was established near Six Cross Roads and Mr. Thomas R. Lawrence was its first District Postmaster. The Office was moved from Six Cross Roads to Church Village; then on to lands of the Bushy Park Railway Station where postal operations resumed from July 12th, 1889.
The Office was moved again from the railway station site to a place called ‘The Farm”, the residence of Mr. Crawford, the appointed District Postmaster. Postal operations began there on June 21st, 1909. Mr. Crawford died in October 1911 and his wife Elizabeth succeeded him as District Postmistress, she later resigned on April 30th 1930 due to ill health and was succeeded by her daughter Mrs. Murrell.
On March 15th, 1933, the Office was moved from “The Farm” to Thurbans Road, Six Cross Roads, to the residence of Miss Spencer where postal operations resumed. Throughout the ensuing years a number of persons performed the duty of District Postmaster/Postmistress.
Approximately sixteen years ago the Post Office was moved to the Emerald City Complex at Six Cross Roads where it is presently located.
Emerald City Complex
Six Roads, ST. PHILIP BB18000
Tel: (246) 435-3598